POPCORN JOURNALS

The journals of Devon (aka Popcorn) as we prepare for his impending arrival into the world!


Baby Devon

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Monday, June 16, 2008

Devon's First Toy... Made with Love!

Yesterday, Popcorn Mama and myself went to Spotlight to pick up a few things -> yellow jersey cloth, brown terry towel cloth, thread, cotton stuffing and some felt. We wanted to make a toy for Devon!

We had earlier bought a book that detailed how to make a stuffed toy, and decided on something simple for a start... a small yellow bunny for Devon.
Photobucket

I spent yesterday tracing the designs out and cutting the yellow cloth. It was actually quite tough as the material was quite stretchy and was difficult to cut.
Photobucket

Popcorn Mama washed it and let it hang out to dry.

Today, we took it down and ironed it. Popcorn Mama then began the tedious process of sewing the bunny together. She sewed the pair of ears first, then the legs. (I helped to sew a bit myself too!... although Popcorn Mama complained that I cheated on some of my backstitch as I made the stitches too far apart. She had to remove it and sew all over again.)

Photobucket

We turned the bunny inside out and stuffed the bunny.

Let the stuffing begin! Notice the black felt eyes next to the bunny.
Photobucket

Popcorn Mama pushing in the cotton stuffing.
Photobucket

Popcorn Mama sewing on the eyes, nose and mouth.
Photobucket

Tada!!! Our baby's first toy. We think it looks a little bit imperfect, but that's what makes it so special for us.
Photobucket

Tomorrow, we're trying a teddy bear. Here are the pieces hanging out to dry. (I washed the pieces myself with baby laundry detergent).
Photobucket

I'll keep you guys updated on the results!

No comments: